Becoming a trainee can be a fun and rewarding opportunity to see the Canadian prairies. We know you are excited about this potential experience, but please make sure you meet the requirements before contacting us.

Requirements for participation in the agricultural exchange program with Canadian Host Family Association:
1. Resumé – View details here
2. Drivers’ license
3. Two references from farms where you have obtained experience. The references must be on farm letterhead and include contact information.
4. Valid passport
5. Agricultural experience
6. Medical release form
7. Police certificate from your home country – More info here 
8. Biometrics are required – see below for more information

Expenses to Complete Requirements:
1. Police certificate from your home country (will be requested by Citizenship and Immigration Canada)
Please Note: If you have lived in the United States of America for 6 months or more you will need an FBI check.
If  you have lived elsewhere for more than 6 months after age 18 you will also be required to submit a police check from each of these countries.
2. Medical exam by a doctor if requested by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
3. Must have a bank account and show proof of $2500 Canadian in the account. (required by Citizenship and Immigration Canada)

Expenses After You Have Been Accepted by the CHFA:
4. Payment to Citizenship and Immigration Canada of $150 CAD for your permit application.
5. Flights to and from Canada. (required by Citizenship and Immigration Canada)
6. Medical insurance for the duration of your stay. (required by Citizenship and Immigration Canada)


In most cases, you must give your biometrics to participate in IEC. 

Depending on where you live, you may need to travel to another city and/or country.
Before you apply, find out where to give your biometrics

If you gave biometrics in the past, you can check if your biometrics are still valid.
Find out where biometrics fits in the application process.

View more information on the Government of Canada website